Savory Berry Sauce
Recipe by Kit Broihier, MS, RD, LD for Wyman’s
Yield: 1.5 cups sauce, or 6 servings
This sauce is a delicious and colorful accompaniment to pork or chicken!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped sweet onion or shallots
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups Wyman’s Cherry, Berry & Kale blend (no need to thaw first)
- 1/3 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons bottled balsamic vinegar glaze
- 1 Tablespoon butter, optional
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, warm the olive oil briefly. When hot, add the onion and the spices (thyme through garlic salt). Saute until onions are softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the Cherry, Berry & Kale blend, along with the chicken broth and stir. Let the mixture cook over medium heat until the fruit is soft, about 5 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, break up the larger berries (typically just the strawberries) in the sauce mixture.
- Stir in the bottled balsamic vinegar glaze. Remove sauce from the heat and stir in the butter, if desired.
- Let sauce cool briefly before serving, during which time it will thicken a little more.